Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Week's Kitchen Activities


The kids have been helping in the kitchen quite a lot these past few days and they wouldn't cook anything other than their favorite puto. They had fun making colorful ones, they love the mixing part and putting cheese. Lance can finish a dozen in one sitting while Lei can finish all the cheese :D


Aside from the puto, the kids also love making pizza. This time we didn't make the dough anymore. I used leftover bread which I usually save for making garlic bread. Lance brushed the pizza sauce while Lei was in charge of the toppings. Another fun activity and snack afterwards for my kids.


Since it was St. Patrick's Day last Wednesday, I asked the kids if they wanted to eat something green, only Lei grabbed the offer with too much excitement opting for green milk. Yesterday, she requested for purple milk and according to her it was delicious.


I now have cans and cans of coconut milk in my kitchen cupboards and as I was arranging them, I saw a bag of dried taro leaves which we purchased last month. I realized I haven't cooked them yet because I keep forgetting to buy shrimps but since I couldn't wait no more, I decided to cook Laing (Taro leaves with Coconut Milk) and just put pork instead. It was my first time to cook this dish and the recipes on the internet were quite confusing so I just threw all the ingredients in a pan (garlic, onion, ginger, pork, taro leaves, coconut milk and shrimp paste) cooked them in medium fire without stirring. Both my Mom and my mother in law can cook delicious Laing and mine was also good for a first timer. For me it was delicious and the most important thing was it wasn't itchy on the throat. We ate it for three days I think and it was still yummy. I can't wait to buy another bag of dried taro leaves. I'll remember to buy shrimps too, or crabs and lots and lots of chilies!!!

2 comments: